3 facts about the word of God.
1. The word of God is powerful.
2. You can only be empowered when you believe and apply it to your life
3. The word of God is eternal.
How do you get it to empower your life?
1. Read it. Hear it.
8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Rev. 1:3 – blessed is the one who reads this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take it to heart, what is written in it, because the time is near.
18 When he takes the throne of his kingdom, he is to write for himself on a scroll a copy of this law, taken from that of the priests, who are Levites. 19 It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the Lord his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees 20 and not consider himself better than his brothers and turn from the law to the right or to the left. Then he and his descendants will reign a long time over his kingdom in Israel.
25 During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
These are a few scriptures to encourage you to read and listen to the word of God. When you make time to read, listen or study the word of God, it will empower your life. Peter heard a word from the Lord Jesus and acted on it, and it enabled him to walk on water. If the dead, the sea and other things can hear the word of God and respond then I believe that it can do greater things in us and for us.
2. Act on it. (SIBIDI)
- Speak it. (confess it)
- Believe it
- Do it
28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”
3. The word of God must continually live in you.
1 John 2:14
14 I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you,and you have overcome the evil one.
When the word of God lives in you, certain things happen to you.
- your faith increases – Rom 10:17 – Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
- it deals with your fears – Ex 4:4 - Then the Lord said to him, “Reach out your hand and take it by the tail.” So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.
- makes you wise - Ps 19:7 – The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
- guarantees your salvation – Rom 1:16 – I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. (if the word of God has the power to save, then it can also keep you till Christ comes).
- purifies you - John 17:17 – Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. (Ps119:9, Jn. 15:3)
- gives you direction in life - Ps. 119:105 -Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
- it gives life to things that are dead in your life – Ezek 37:7-10 – So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.
9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet — a vast army.
- gives you hope for the future – Rom 15:4 – For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
The word of God, like a seed, has the power of multiplication.